Mariners denied by Glory in restart on the Coast
A first half goal from Dane Ingham proved the difference at Central Coast Stadium on Saturday night, as the Mariners fell to a 1-0 defeat against Perth in their first game of the Hyundai A-League restart.
Perth took the lead through Ingham’s 32nd minute curler as they enjoyed the ascendancy in the first half, but the Mariners did well to get back on top in the second half as they pushed for an equaliser.
Jacob Melling and Dylan Fox both started in a new look side, with a dangerous bench at Alen Stajcic’s disposal and the Mariners wore black armbands following the death of Andre Gumprecht’s wife, Carina.
Jacob Melling fired wide and Bruno Fornaroli looked to cause trouble but neither side troubled their opponent’s goalkeeper until Ingam’s goal just after the half hour mark.
Neil Kilkenny played a slide rule ball through to Ingham as he came in from the wing, and the 21-year old wasted no time taking a touch and firing across Mark Birighitti to give Perth the lead.
Ivan Franjic and then Kristian Popovic were both carded for cynical fouls as the game approached half time, but the scoreboard was not troubled further as the teams went into the changerooms.
An early corner for the Mariners proved dangerous but the ball didn’t sit right for Kye Rowles, before Birighitti and then Liam Reddy were forced into saves at either end.
Dylan Ruiz-Diaz and Josh Nisbet were introduced by Stajcic after 56 minutes for Melling and Daniel DeSilva, and Ruiz-Diaz’s curling cross minutes later was just out of reach of Jordan Murray.
With 25 minutes left to play Murray leapt into the air to contest an aerial ball with Alex Grant and landed heavily after the collision, laying on the ground before being stretchered from the field.
Staj confirmed post-match a dislocated shoulder for the forward, and he was replaced in a double substation as Matt Simon and Milan Duric replaced him and Jack Clisby.
The Mariners pushed through the final 20 minutes with a number of chances created and Alou Kuol created headaches for Perth after his introduction, but they couldn’t break down a Perth side who were content to resolutely defend through the final stanza.
Stajic and the team will now turn attentions to a big weekend coming up, with Friday’s F3 Derby followed quickly by a clash with Western Sydney Wanderers on the Monday.
Mariners to welcome fans at Central Coast Stadium
The Central Coast Mariners confirmed on Monday afternoon that fans will be able to attend Saturday’s clash against Perth Glory at Central Coast Stadium.
With a capped capacity of 4,500 in line with government regulations, Mariners Members will be given an exclusive redemption period ahead of a general public release.
Central Coast Mariners CEO Shaun Mielekamp said it marked an exciting point, and said everyone at the club was looking forward to the return of matches and crowds.
“Our Members have been so important for us and so supportive during this time, and it’s fantastic that they can attend our first match back,” he said.
“We’ve worked with the stadium and the league to ensure that our fans can attend safely and enjoy live football once again, and we’re looking forward to that happening on Saturday.”
“I would also like to thank Perth, who agreed to us opening the game to our Members despite it being their home game.”
The match will kick off at 5pm at Central Coast Stadium, following the restart of the Hyundai A-League season the night before.
More information on ticketing can be found here.
Central Coast Mariners CEO Shaun Mielekamp
Monday, 22nd June
Central Coast Mariners CEO Shaun Mielekamp spoke to media via Zoom on Monday, following the agreement of a Hyundai A-League broadcast deal last week.
Audio and Vision of the opportunity are now available to download below.
Central Coast Mariners Media Distribution |
Mariners to launch Community Support line
Central Coast Wednesday, 8th April
Central Coast Mariners to launch Community Support line
The Central Coast Mariners will this week launch the Mariners Community support program to provide assistance and support to Members and the Central Coast Community during the unprecedented and ongoing COVID-19 crisis.
Beginning on Thursday, the Mariners will contact Members in what is considered the ‘at-risk’ category for COVID-19, ensuring those who they speak to are educated and prepared for the time ahead and helping out with supplies or shopping where necessary.
A page will be set up on ccmariners.com.au as a dedicated hub for resources relating to the crisis including contact numbers, fact sheets and links to relevant health authorities.
Mariners CEO Shaun Mielekamp said it is an important time for the Club to play its role in the Community and support those who have supported it for so long.
“We’re really excited to get this initiative off the ground, and start reaching out to Members immediately,” Mielekamp said.
“It’s such an important time for us all to band together and work to get through this, and the Club has a part to play in that.”
“This project will start off small but we’ll look to grow it into a program that can benefit as many people as possible, and provide wide-ranging support to the Central Coast community.”
The Central Coast Mariners COVID-19 hub is available to access by clicking here.
FFA to postpone remaining matches in the Hyundai A-League season due to COVID-19
COURTESY RELAY: FFA Media Release
Tuesday, 24 March 2020
Football Federation Australia (FFA) today announced that it has postponed the final rounds of the Hyundai A-League 2019/20 Season. This postponement is effective immediately.
The decision is the latest in a series of measures introduced by FFA in response to the ongoing spread of COVID-19 and comes with the unanimous support of all Hyundai A-League clubs. FFA will review the situation over the coming weeks with a further formal status assessment now scheduled for April 22nd.
The goal at this stage is to reschedule games as soon as it is reasonably possible to do so in order to complete the season. The clubs and players have indicated to FFA that they will be ready to continue should the competition be able to resume.
The decision reflects the stringent social distancing measures that have now been introduced by Government, the introduction of State border restrictions within Australia and the implementation of the highest levels of border restrictions for New Zealand. The accumulative effect making the continuation of the competition impossible at the present time.
FFA CEO James Johnson said: “Our priority is to ensure the safety of both the football community and the community at large. As each passing day raises additional concerns for the safety of both, it is imperative that we follow the lead of Governments at National and State level and take the necessary precautionary and proactive measures and in doing so play our part in preventing the spread and impact of COVID-19.”
“To get so close to completing the competition, only to pull up a few weeks short, has been heartbreaking for the players, clubs and fans. That said, the health and safety of our fans, players, volunteers and staff has always been the overriding consideration for us. That is fundamentally what led – with the unanimous support of the State and Territory Member Federations – to the suspension of grassroots football until 14 April 2020. Today’s decision was equally difficult to make but it is borne form the same rationale.
“As the largest club-based participation sport with nearly two million participants, we have a clear and obvious duty to play our part in doing whatever we can to support the efforts to slow down the spread of COVID-19.
“On behalf of FFA Board and each Hyundai A-League Club, we thank the players for their assistance during these extraordinary times. We have done everything in our power to ensure the physical and mental welfare of the players and club staff and this decision means that, like the majority of Australians, they can now return home to be with their families during this difficult time.”
“We’d like to thank our members, sponsors, volunteers and fans for their continued support during this unprecedented time.”
FFA asks that all football fans, players, coaches, and officials continue to abide by the measures put in place by the Federal and State Governments and follow all precautionary protocols.
FFA will continue to monitor the situation in consultation with the National COVID-19 Working Committee and provide updates as they become available.