Pin It

CCCA Media

Results from Semi Final of the CCCA 1st Grade competition which was played yesterday.

Northern Power 170 (Caine Barnes 63, Zac Abel 41, Kris Capeski 4/30, Mitch Starkey 4/33) def The Entrance 146 (Adam Taylor 35, Broc Hardy 30, Dave Molan 4/54, Chris Archer 3/24) by 24 runs @ Sohier Park

Wyong 201 (Mark Leard 60, Hayden Murphy 46, Bailey King 37, Simon Keen 4/23, Daniel Hill 3/54) def Warnervale 158 (Simon Keen 39, Mitch McNeilly 34, Harrison Townsend 3/33) by 43 runs @ Woongarrah Oval

Grand Final next Saturday and Sunday

Wyong vs Northern Power @ Sohier Park


Wyong and Northern Power will meet in next week’s CCCA 1st Grade Grand Final after two upset results in the semi finals this weekend.

At Sohier Park, Northern Power will get the opportunity to reverse last years Grand Final result after, for the second year running, eliminating the Minor Premiers from the competition. Last year it was Kincumber Avoca this year it was The Entrance.

After being sent into bat Northern Power were in immediate trouble as Kris Capeski removed the Powers big guns, Jeremy O’Connell (8), Brett Lenton (10) and Ben Gillies (0) with only 27 runs on the board. Caine Barnes, with retirement looming and Zac Abel were able to join forces and in between rain delays were able to steady the ship with a partnership of 73 before Abel was dismissed for a well made 41. Mark Daniel was dismissed just prior to stumps which were called after another rain delay with Northern Power at 5/134.

Resuming on Day 2 with 27 overs still to bat, Northern Power were looking to Barnes to build a competitive total. Unfortunately he was only able to add five more runs to his overnight tally before he was dismissed for a vintage 63, which turned out to be match winning. James McCombie again made a valuable contribution late in the order finishing with 18, however Capeski and Mitch Starkey were able to take the last four wickets for just 7 runs which saw Northern Power dismissed for 170. Capeski was again excellent finishing with 4/30 whilst his compatriot Starkey took 4/33.

Chasing 171 for victory, The Entrance lost the early wicket of Shaun Byfield, however their batting keys Adam Taylor and Broc Hardy set about establishing the defending premiers innings. Both players were particularly savage in any short balls and quickly took the score to 52 before Dave Molan had the dangerous Taylor caught behind for 35. Ben Day joined Hardy and once again they looked solid putting on a 36 runs partnership before Northern Power skipper Chris Archer induced an edge from Hardy’s bat which was gleefully taken at slip by Barnes. Hardy made 30. Nick Hay (2), Ash Hardy (6), Jason Blackwood (1) and Callum Dunkerley (7) all fell cheaply which made the score 7/121 and placed plenty of pressure on Day.

The game was effectively sealed when Nic Babcock forced a loose drive from Day two runs later to be caught by Archer and despite some late hitting, The Entrance were dismissed for 146, 24 runs short of Northern Power’s total.

Molan was superb for Northern Power in a lionhearted performance which saw him take 4/30, Archer took 3/24 and Babcock 2/33 were also impressive.

After being dismissed by many good judges in early season predictions, Wyong will contest the Grand Final after defeating Warnervale by 43 runs at Woongarrah Oval. The Wildcats entered the final as the form side of the competition however were unable to replicate this form against a determined Wyong outfit.

Wyong batted first after being sent into bat on a day which was interrupted by rain and after the early loss of Olly Thompson for 13, Rob Westley and Hayden Murphy settled the innings and took the score to 68 before Westley was dismissed for 12. Wyong then took the score the 89 before Daniel Hill and Simon Keen rocked the Roos lineup. The dismissal of Murphy for 46 saw Wyong lose 4 wickets for 2 runs and the innings in disarray at 6/91.

The experienced Mark Leard and the inexperienced Bailey King joined forces and the pair were able to take the score to a very respectable 6/151 when stumps were drawn.

The pair pushed the score to 177 on Day 2 before King was dismissed for a fine 37. Leard continued to add valuable runs and was eventually the last man dismissed with the score at 201 for an excellent 60 off 157 balls with 6 fours. Keen was the pick of the bowlers with 4/23 from 21 overs, , Hill took 3/54 and Joey Liddle 2/28 off 17 overs.

Pleased with their efforts with the bat, Wyong entered the field full of confidence and this was boosted further when Murphy bowled Lance Keen for 7 and King had key bat Tony Cornwell caught behind for 2. This bought Simon Keen to the crease and all of a sudden, rightly or wrongly, the feeling was that the final rested on his bat. As always he looked in good touch finding the boundary when necessary and he and veteran Scott Atkinson moved the score to 65 when the introduction of wonderkid Harrison Townsend changed the game.

Almost immediately he caught and bowled Keen for 39, he then had another key Warnervale wicket with Brett Russell out for 17 and followed this up with Chris Harper for 7. This had Warnervale in trouble at 5/98. When Atkinson’s resolute innings of 25 (154 balls) came to end with the score at 122 the Wildcats Grand Final dream was hanging by a thread. T20 hero Mitch McNeilly had his superhero cape on again and threatened the Wyong attack however his innings of 34 came to an end with the score on 150. Two run outs at the death saw Warnervale dismissed for 158 and Wyong had progressed through to the Grand Final.

Townsend was superb taking 3/33 off 15 overs, showing amazing control. Spin partner Andrew Dufty was equally impressive with 2/29 off 21 overs, whilst Murphy chipped in with 2/43.

Whilst a Wyong vs Northern Power Grand Final may not have been scripted, in will certainly shape up as a very interesting contest.

For full match details go to :