CCRU Round 1



Avoca Beach 14 Adrian Jones try, Penalty Try;
Matt Anderson 1 conversion
drew with
Gosford 14 Josh McGlynn try;
Hugo Pike 3 penalty goals

Kariong 29 Jake Holwill 2, Phil Browne, Ryan Walbank tries;
Scott Hanley 3 conversions, 1 penalty goal

Woy Woy 21 Epa Nagwara, Hesekkaia Polalulu tries;
Fokolulu Taumalolo 1 conversion,
3 penalty goals

Terrigal 19 Ethan McInnes, Joe Taylor, Dylan Calabria tries;
Adam Danckert 2 conversions
Warnervale 18 Brennan Wanstall, Zac McGowan tries;
Cameron McNamara 1 conversion,
2 penalty goals

Hornsby 48 Sam White 2, Mitch Fullager 2, Earl Yandall, John O’Donnell, Brian Mudge, Ben Astley tries;
Sam White 1 conversion, 2 penalty goals
The Lakes 19 Broderick Gray 2 tries;
Bill Moroney 3 penalty goals

Hornsby 5
Kariong 5
Terrigal 4
Avoca Beach 2
Gosford 2
Warnervale 1
The Lakes 0
Woy Woy 0
Ourimbah 0

Avoca Beach 20 Gosford 17
Terrigal 8 Warnervale 3
The Lakes 48 Hornsby 0
Woy Woy 26 Kariong 14

Avoca Beach 5 Gosford 0
Terrigal 42 Warnervale 7
The Lakes 20 Hornsby 0
Woy Woy 22 Kariong 12
Ourimbah 25 The Entrance 12

Woy Woy 26 Kariong 7
Avoca Beach 20 Ourimbah 0
Terrigal 20 Warnervale 0


The 2017 Central Coast Rugby season opened with some very interesting matches. There were some close matches, and some unpredictable results. All of the teams would have enjoyed their first competitive hit out of the season and certainly all teams will get stronger and stronger as the season continues as they get their combinations more settled.

In the Match of the Round at Heazlett Park, Avoca Beach scored late in the match to force a 14 all draw against Gosford. Obviously this was a very evenly fought encounter throughout and the result shows it remained that way after 80 minutes. The match started off on a fairly even keel with both teams having opportunities to post points. Avoca Beach then probably took control for awhile and did have a certain territorial advantage in the early stages of the first stanza. But they were simply unable to break through to post any points. The Gosford defence held firm at this stage. The remainder of the first half was a tight struggle. At the halftime break both teams had scored the single try. Gosford had scored a good try through their centre Josh McGlynn, while Avoca Beach posted their five pointer via fullback Adrian Jones. Gosford did lead at the break by 8 points to 7, and it was obvious this match was going to go right down to the wire. Avoca Beach has several very good performers at this stage. Bradd Sheridan was all over the paddock and was certainly playing a leading role for his team. He was well supported by halfback Julian Bacigalupo and prop Josh Meadham. Gosford were being best served by centre Josh McGlynn, flanker Hugo Pike, and Luke Brown. The second half was a dour battle, with Gosford able to convert 2 penalty goals to take the lead by 14 points to 7. With time running out it seemed the Gosford team were to hang on for the victory, but a penalty try late in the match due to a Gosford indiscretion saw the home side square up the match at 14 all. Both teams will take a lot from the match, but both would also rue the real chance they had of notching up a first up victory.

Terrigal came from behind to defeat Warnervale at The Haven Oval. Terrigal won by the single point, by 19 points to 18, in what was a very pleasing game of rugby. Warnervale started well and got away to a great start. They played some concerted and consistent rugby and were able to cross for two early tries. Winger Brennan Wanstall crossed early to open up the scoring. This 5 points to nil lead was soon increased when another very good backline movement saw Zac McGowan cross for an excellent try. The conversion of this try and another penalty goal to Cameron McNamara saw Warnervale lead by 15 points to nil. This was to be the halftime score, and also remained the scoreline for quite awhile into the second half. Warnervale were playing with confidence and an upset was definitely on the cards. However Terrigal at this stage started to put things together in the second stanza. Things were starting to flow for them and as a result they were able to cross for three second half tries. It was a very good comeback but the home side would have been very much concerned for the majority of this match. Terrigal had several good players in the match. Their best was hooker Ethan McInnes. He was able to continue his great form from last year and certainly got his team on the straight and narrow in the second half when it was required. He was supported very well by flanker Sam Kenny and forward Alec Brewin. Warnervale put in a great performance and they will have a great season. Their best players on the day were No.8 Richie Houston, prop Ryan Hazell and winger Brennan Wanstall. Both teams would be pleased with their effort on the day and both teams will take a lot from the encounter.

Kariong also came from behind to defeat Woy Woy at Kariong Oval by 29 points to 21. This was an exciting game of rugby, and although at times becoming quite dour, some excellent tries were scored. Both teams now know they have the potential to have very good seasons and for a first hit out it was a great effort. After a very even start with a penalty goal each, it was Woy Woy who gained the ascendancy. They were able to score their two tries in the first half and went to the halftime break leading by 15 points to 3. It appeared at that stage that they would go on and secure the win. They even went further ahead early in the second half with a penalty goal and led by 18 points to 3 early in the second half. It was at this stage that Kariong suddenly got into gear. Things started to work for them and suddenly they were able to find the gaps. At the midway point of the second half Woy Woy still led by 21 points to 10 but three late tries to Kariong saw them grab the lead and then secure the win on fulltime. Kariong had several very good players. Five-eight Ryan Wallbank played well and scored the vital final try. He was very wells supported by No.8 Phil Brown, winger Jake Holwill, who crossed for 2 tries, and half back Scott Hanley. Hanley led by example and kept working on his forwards to keep going. Woy Woy played well, and although faltering a little towards the end of the match, will get stronger and stronger as the season progresses. They were best served by centre Iliesa Rokodrega, who was always dangerous with the ball in hand, and forwards Nick Garnett and Kane Burns never stopped. Flanker Lapana Vitale was good all day and was always a threat.

Hornsby jumped to the top of the competition ladder with a pleasing win over The Lakes at Hornsby, running out victors by 48 points to 19. They were able to cross for 8 tries to 2 and that was a good indicator of the flow of the match. Hornsby led by 25 points to 10 at the halftime break, but it was late in the second half that they were able to take total control of the match. The home side was able to cross for three very late tries to build up the big lead. Sam White was excellent for Hornsby, scoring 2 tries and kicking 3 goals. He was well supported by Mitch Fullager, Ben Astley and Brian Mudge. The Lakes gave it their all and will be much stronger for the run. They were best served by winger Broderick Gray who crossed for 2 tries. He was well supported by Shae O’Brien, Bill Moroney and Harry Pirini.

In the President’s Cup on Friday night, Ourimbah made a successful return to this competition when they defeated The Entrance by 25 points to 12. It was a good game of rugby and both teams gave it their all. It was a pleasing night of rugby to open up the 2017 rugby season here on the Coast.